Cutest Blog Layout

Friday, January 11, 2013

Leaving the Past - Room for Change

Pinned Image
source
At church on Sunday, we were encouraged to examine what we need to burn in order to move to what God has for us (based on Elisha burning his plows and sacrificing cattle as a closure to his previous way of life).  As I mentally reviewed what I have held onto, I realized that it isn't much.  The last five years have represented a complete shift in my life trajectory.  My life is not what I thought it would be, it is not what I planned. 

I have burned so many bridges, truly let go of things like:
  • marriage
  • living near family
  • my home and neighborhood
  • continuing at our school
  • church life & history
I can only count two circumstances which have remained the same: mothering and my job.  Mothering is very important to me, but my job is not so much.  It serves to meet our needs and I'm very thankful for that. 

But, wow - everything else has changed.  Everything.  I remembered to be proud and grateful at what I have come through.  And I did ask myself, "Is there anything else I need to let go?"  Only one thing came to mind, and I'm already in transition of letting that go.  I reconfirmed that this will be okay. 

The challenge is that letting go happens before we know what we're next moving into.  It is so hard to let go, when there's nothing yet to grab...when we are left feeling empty-handed.  But rest assured and put your faith into practice, you will not be left empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment