Friday, July 27, 2012

Sweet & Strong

source: http://www.vintagevictuals.com/2009/04/southern-sweet-tea.html
Sweet tea is the standard drink for hot summer days, and this has been a hot summer.  I've made more than a few pitchers and the children have all developed a new appreciation for the refreshing beverage.  BUT, what I've really been thinking about is how I want to be a bit like my tea - both sweet and strong. 

Sweetness is readily accepted and rewarded.  That makes it fairly easy for this recovering-people-pleaser to practice.  I find joy in serving others, meeting needs and even in being the go-to girl at work.  I like being described as sweet.

I haven't always identified myself as strong.  In fact, there are times I feel so weak and ineffective that it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other.  That's okay.  Yet as I've grown and learned, struggled and succeeded in some areas, I'm more confident that I am strong.  Being strong doesn't mean things are painful or hard, but it does mean knowing I will survive them and there is life beyond any current trial. 

I feel strong when I take care of myself emotionally, physically and spiritually.  I feel strong when I make smart choices or let go of things that hold me back.  I feel especially strong when I invite others into the journey with me.  What makes you feel strong?  How do you build strength?  Do you think it's alright to feel weak?