Cutest Blog Layout

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games: Situations that Require Action

Stock Image Source: Murray Close
At midnight last night (this morning?), Mr. Wonderful and I joined his youngest daughter and her cousin at the premier of The Hunger Games.  Yes, I'm paying for it as I sit at my desk this morning and I'll be catching up all weekend, but it was worth the excitement, the buzz and the fun of a late night.  I had fun making a memory with Mr. Wonderful's daughter, too!  I think this is called bonding.

I knew I wasn't going to have time to read the books prior to seeing the movie, so I read as much as I could about the plot and characters.  It was easy to root for the protagonist as she is forced to make choices she never wanted to make.  Life is that way - we all find ourselves in situations that leave us with choices we wish we never needed to make.  I think it is those very moments that often define us. 

Jennifer Lawrence did such an excellent job of conveying that mix of emotion and determination.  She allowed Katniss to be a mix of strength and vulnerability while retaining the optimism of youth and the grittiness of challenging times.  While watching, I could tell there were subplots not fully developed and so now I'm going to have to borrow the books and catch up.  I'm looking forward to it!

Do you enjoy any pop culture trends?  Are you going to see The Hunger Games?  Have you read the books?  Are there choices you have made even though you never wished to?  How have these choices defined your life?

6 comments:

  1. I really need to read these books!!! I read the Twilight series really to just appease my friends because they begged me too and then I ended up loving them. I am not into vampires and other creatures such as those. But, I ended up really loving the Cullen's...LOL!! I will have to just make time to read The Hunger Games :) Glad you had such a fun evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught the movie two nights ago! I think it's really well made, and I'm completely dying to get my hands on the novels! It was so good, I kept leaning forward because of all the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read book 1 back when there was only a book 1. I had to wait painfully for book 2 to come out and then wait for book 3. I love them. I was at the midnight movie last night with my best friend and my momma. We had a blast. I love Katniss and the decisions she has to make. Life takes unexpected curves and then we are faced with decisions we never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive read the books many times, and they just get better. I havent seen the movie yet, but cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading book 1 now. I would let you borrow it, but it is on my kindle! Guess that is a down side of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bravery and humanity of Katniss, but this story was just so sad. I was distraught for days after finishing the trilogy, and still feel sadness when I think of what she went through (and at such a young age) even if it was for a greater purpose.

    ReplyDelete